Friday, March 20, 2009

What a Trip!!

We are home from our exciting trip to Florida. Overall we had a wonderful time with wonderful weather. There were just a few bumps in the road. There were many pros & cons to each day. Here is the recap:

March 12:

Pros- We had a nice drive to Chicago, Drew did really well sleeping most of the way. Our flight was on time & it was direct. All of the Southwest staff were friendly & helpful. We landed on time safely. We had a wonderful dinner at Diane & Lester's. Nancy, Nabil, Matt, & Leslie all came over & we had a wonderful visit. Drew was happy. All was well.

Cons- We left my hair straightner in the rental car. Traffic in Tampa is a nightmare!!

March 13:


Pros- Off to St. Petersburg beach for a lovely day. It was a sunny 85. We had a nice day & a traditional visit to the Hurricane to enjoy the view of the Gulf. That evening we enjoyed a Tappa resturant outdoors & it was so nice out. We walked up there & were enjoying all the outdoor activities. All still really well.

Cons- The birds were on the prowl as we ate lunch on the beach, freaked me out. My child enjoyed the taste of sand & we had to watch him like a hawk. He was determined to get the sand to his mouth.

March 14:

Pros- We got to the resort before check in & were able to enjoy the pool area. It was another beautiful day in FL with temps reaching the high 80's. Drew LOVED his sunbather float from Aunt Mandy & I loved that it kept him shaded. We enjoyed lunch poolside for $5 with a beer!! There was good music playing & it was heavenly & very relaxing. Drew was content & floated for most of the day & even snoozed in his float. Best of all, late that evening Maggie, Jake, & Allie arrived after their safe flight. All in all it was a good day & we realized it could have been so much worse, our spirits were still really good. For as sick as Drew was he kept very content in the pool.

Cons- Our morning started at around 3 am with poor baby Drew projectile vomiting, MULTIPLE times. I was doing laundry at 4 am & we were going through clothes & linen by the minute. He was SICK!! We said our good byess to our family & missed out on seeing some of them, but it was time for us to travel on before we got everyone else sick. He was pretty lethargic & laid around. He was most content in his shaded float. OH how could I forget, night #1 in the townhouse, NO AIR CONDITIONING!! I'm never hot, but it was hot & uncomfortable. That did not help Drew either. We were on our 3rd "rough" night with very little sleep.

March 15:

Pros- We had another BEAUTIFUL day in sunny Florida. Everyone had arrived & vacation together had started. We all enjoyed the day at the resort lounging. It was nice. All the kids were doing well & we were happy. We had good burgers & fries for $5 with a beer!! BARGAIN!! That evening we enjoyed down town Disney. We had dinner at T-Rex & it was really cool in there. We shopped around, enjoyed the nice weather & scenery. Our spirits were still good.

Cons- Drew was still sick. He enjoyed the float again, but just wasn't himself. He was taking in fluids, but not eating much. That evening the diarrhea started. We went through 3 outfits in 15 minutes at T-rex. Thankfully the resturant was loud & that was to our advantage bc at this point, he was done. Poor baby.

March 16:

Pros- I got to celebrate yet another birthday in Florida, I felt pretty lucky. It was another sunny day with record highs into the low 90's. There was still a breeze though & it was perfect. We went to Clearwater beach & it was a hit. The kids were in heaven & enjoyed the sand & water with Michael. Luckily there are umbrellas to rent so Drew & fair skinned Allie could be shaded. The umbrella came in handy for me as well. Spirits are still high & we are having a good time. I recieved lots of calls & texts & it made my day:) I got 2 hours on the beach ALONE & it was nice, I got to lay in the sun, under the umbrella, read a magazine & take it all in. Clearwater beach is beautiful.

Cons- Happy Birthday, you get the FLU!! I woke up at 1 am & knew it was my turn. I'll spare the details, but I was sick!! I managed to make myself go to the beach & I'm happy I did. THANKFULLY Michael & Maggie were there to help with a still sick baby Drew because I was so weak I could barely hold him. I wanted to cry, but couldn't even do that. Drew & I felt crummy. Evidently while I was alone on the beach & the rest of the crew went to lunch Drew had an accident on Michael, Maggie thought it was mustard, come to find out, it was not mustard, but a bodily substance from Drew. I went to bed early & had to come back downstairs for something to find out the wicked stomach flu had hit Maggie as well. I felt HORRIBLE that we gave this to her & kept praying the kids wouldn't get it. I laid in the bed & shed a few tears & fell asleep.

March 17:

Pros- Sea World Day, another beautiful day in the high 70's with a nice breeze. Drew & I were feeling better (or so I thought). We enjoyed the shows & entertainment at Sea World & it was amazing. It was priceless to see the kids faces. Jake, Allie, & Michael fed Stingrays, then Jake, Allie, & I fed the dolphins. It was an awsome experience. We were able to pet them & be very close. Jake & Allie still not cursed by the flu, YAY!!

Cons- Maggie felt CRUMMY, but trudged through for her kids. Drew was still battling diarrhea & went through lots of diapers, wipes, & outfits. We went to leave Sea World & the parking lot is A-Z, & NONE of us had a clue where we parked. We were a tad out of it. On top of it, there were about 7000 white vans that looked just like ours. Michael, along with all the other smart people there turned the panic button on. So here we are, all of us spent, walking around looking for the lost van, hearing CONSTANT honking. I was near tears. Maggie was laughing at this point. Michael finally found the van & we were headed back to the resort. Drew was upset & done for the day & started vomiting AGAIN!! I lost it & CRIED, I think I could have cried for days.

March 18:

Pros- Everyone feeling much better, DREW included. We enjoyed a hald day at Sea World for FREE!! The weather was perfect AGAIN!! We tackled the rides, took in another Shamu show, & someother favorites. We remembered to look at where we parked. All were happy & healthy. That afternoon we enjoyed our last day in the sun at the resort. That evening we had a nice dinner at Chilli's & Drew ATE WELL!! YAY!!!!!! We packed up all our stuff & did ALL the laundry. I would have been screwed (pardon my french) without laundry facilities. That was a blessing & a must in the futre. We were all happy & were able to laugh at some of the mishaps of the week.

Cons- Drew was DONE with vacation by the afternoon & ready to come home. Allie had her 1st & only BIG meltdown at the pool. She scraped her toe, she was tired, & was saying her tummy hurt. I was praying she wasn't getting sick. Luckily she didn't. Maggie, Allie, Drew, & I went back to the resort & Jake & Michael played awhile longer.

March 19:

Pros- All of our flights were on time & we all made it home safely!!!!! We had to get up at 3 am & all 3 kids did really well. It felt so good to come home & Drew was instantly happy when we walked in. THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!!!!!!!

Cons- On our flight from Orlando to Atlanta Drew had a VERY messy diaper up to his neck on both sides. You know how big the bathrooms are on a plane. So here I am in the 2X2 bathroom trying too change Drew as the plane is moving. It went better than expected, but it was not something I want to do ever again. We arrived in Atlanta & Drew was acting hungry so I fed him a little just to have him projectile vomit 3 times all over everything. Once again we are on outfit #3 & it's 9 am!! The tears came again (for me) & I couldn't get them to stop. Once I got composure I called the Dr. to be sure I wasn't letting this go too long. He had been having vomiting & diarrhea for 6 days. They re-assured me I was doing everything right & to keep pushing fluids & forget about solids. We boarded in Atlanta & he fell asleep instantly & slept until Moline. ALL week we kept taking pictures of him sleeping, so I HAD to get just one more. He was on my lap, so after I took the picture I dropped my camera into what I thought was my purse. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got home, got 100% unpacked to realize I had NO camera. Guess what, the tears came back AGAIN, but this time it was more like a sob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called Moline & Atlanta, but no sign. I have a single ray of hope it will appear, but I don't think it will. I'm ticked at myself! Thankfully I had photographer Maggie with & she took 380 pictures. I'm just sad I have no 1st plane or 1st time touching toes in the gulf, or any of the pictures with my family. UGH!!!!!!

Overall we had a really nice time & we are all so happy the Jake & Allie didn't get sick on vacation (hopefully they won't at all)!! It feels good to be home, it was time, & Drew is doing significantly better just being here. If I can figure out how to get Maggie's pictures from Snapfish to my computer, I'll post them later.





1 comment:

Jeannine said...

AAGH!! I feel bad for you guys. I am glad you are all feeling better. Good thing you didn't let all the cons ruin it...way to stay positive and keep moving on. I hope your camera shows up somewhere.
Love you Guys!!